Old October 28th 08, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Default K13 Opinions

I'm still a fairly low-time glider pilot, but I've flown 14 types over
the last year and IMHO the ASK-13 and Blanik L-13 & L-23 are far Far
FAR better trainers than the 2-33!

As others have noted, the wood & fabric of the '13 means that it
requires a bit more care, but of course the Blaniks - while durable -
are slightly more expensive. The price delta between 2-33 ($8k -
$10k) and one of these other types ($15k - $18k) isn't that big
anymore. If your group can stretch and make the purchase, I think its
probably money well-spent.

Any of these 3 models (ASK-13, L-13, L-23) will give the student a
MUCH better feel for soaring than the 2-33, and I believe that a
better primary-trainer experience makes it easier (and more fun) for
students to transition to single-place ships and eventually to high-
performance craft. The 2-33 is a "dump truck" for throwing a lot of
people in the air; but it does little to teach them fine control or
good technique. And the performance & handling of these other
trainers doesn't make them harder to work in the pattern or on landing
- so its not like there's a down-side...

--Noel