Old December 31st 03, 01:47 AM
Mu

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 20:41:29 +0000, Alan Dicey
wrote:

ArtKramr wrote:

Thanks for the kind words Ed. Actually all posts up to this point got little or
no responses and I have the feeling that there is very little interest in this
subject on this NG. I had planned on stopping with this last post. But with
your encouraging post, I think I might continue a while longer . Thanks again.
I appreciate your coming forward.

Art,
Though I haven't come forward before, I would still add my voice to
those above and ask you to keep posting your memoires. It is always
important to be able to balance "official histories" against the
memories of those individuals who were there and did that. Most
especially, the small things - how you felt going up against the foe,
and how it felt to see friends go down - helps us all to put a feeling
against the text-book phrases such as "casualties were heavy". We don't
truly understand what that means.

Hello Art
I especially appreciate the personal view in your stories. I do read
a lot of history and there a lot of official and non official
accounts about on which day which division attacked where.
Definately interesting.

But the most interesting stories to me are the personal ones.
The stories like "December the xx. We wanted to fly to help our
friends but the damn wheather wouldn't let us . December xx Finally we
are go.".

Since it's such a long time ago more and more vets are passing away
and can't tell the first hand experiences anymore.
Please keep the stories coming and put them on your website so
generations after now kan still read them.

Greetz Martijn Uffing
P.S. My grandparents lived near the railroad Arnhem-Germany . Funny
way to communicate with someone who probably "buzzed" my grandparents
60 years ago