Old March 20th 09, 01:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Cook[_2_]

Default Aerodynamics of Towing

Bob,

If we are gonna play what if.....

What if there was no lift? (like a brick,)

Sure it would move because of gravity, but in what direction? Down! Not
forward!

So tell me again how gravity imparts a forward force to a glider?

Although "no gravity is not possible, "no lift" is easily
demonstrated:

Next time you fly, try this. Push forward on the stick. Keep pushing
until your angle of attack goes to zero (no lift). Tell me which way your
glider flies!

Cookie

At 18:22 17 March 2009, Bob Whelan wrote:

Yebbut...imagine a glider magically inserted into earth's atmosphere

after global warming has removed all grabbity. What gets it moving?

It won't move. Why would it?

Jim Beckman