Old May 11th 09, 12:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
Keith Willshaw[_4_]

Default "PENTAGON WORKING TO GIVE F-35 JSF NUCLEAR-STRIKE CAPABILITY"

"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in message
On May 10, 12:23 pm, "Keith Willshaw"

Name one missile that does so and the mechanism it uses for braking.

Sputnik, returned dogs safely in the 50's. They used
speed brakes, then parachutes.

No it didnt, Sputnik was not recoverable and the dog Laika died in space

You should aquaint
yourself with that simple program.

Pot Kettle Black

Note that a profile such as that you describe would make the thing
much easier to intercept which is generally thought to be a bad
thing by those who fire them. The Aegis cruisers that accomapany a
CVBG would swat such a target without breaking sweat.

Nope. See my post to Mr. Adams.

You do know that Mr Adam worked for a guided weapons manufacturer
dont you ?

then it has a lot of time (by electronic

standards) to search, select, aim and fire.

And be shot down by a Standard 2 missile - oops

Maybe 80% of the time, but you forget PROBABILTY.

No I just recalled the VLS silo on a Tico and the fact that it can
salvo missiles at multiple targets. They practise against supersonic
manoeuvering targets, your missile is a turkey shoot.

Note that while Pershing II used a synthetic aperture radar system
for terminal guidance this was an ancillary to the INS and compared
radar maps of the terrain with the on board maps. Its inclusion
was simply to reduce the CEP from the 400m of the Pershing I to
30m. This system did not have the capability to search for, locate and
guide the warhead to a moving target that may be 30 miles from the aim
point.
Keith

Things haved changed. A missile can shoot down a satellite
going 15,000 mph, yet you Keith steadfastly hold to the idea
that hitting a huge CVN doing 30 mph is very difficult.

Looking up at a missile with a large phased array radar is a lot easier
than looking down from a small set from a fast moving warhead even
if you dont have to do it through plasma.

So what? They still have real time tracking.

You dont know much about real time racking do you ?

Electronics has revolutized warfare as much as atomic
energy has. I've been in and out the business since 68,
and the pace is astounding, Star Trek type communicators
are now used by 12 yo girls for "sexting".
Keith, a young fella like yourself has probably never seen a
Telex machine.

This 'young fella' is in his late 50's and did his first programming on
an IBM 360 using teleprinter terminals with the code on paper tape

Oh, you're a newbie, jumped in at DTL technology.
My first digital computer was a abacus,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abacus

Ho Ho

Classified military electronics is likely 10-15 years ahead of
what is publically known.
Ken

Actually the microprocessors used in military electronics are typically
5 years or more BEHIND those used commercially . The requirement
to harden them against EMP and provide TEMPEST protection
pretty much ensure that. The processor in my cellphone is probably
more capable than that in the F-22.

Why is my BS detector pinned at 100% ??? :-).
Ken

Because you are pretty ignorant about these devices. The Nokia 5800
uses an Arm 11 32 bit processor has inbuilt GPS , WLAN networking
full video capabilities and oh yes you can make phone calls on it too.

The Arm 11 range of processors can deliver up to 2600 Mips Dhrystone

The F-22 is reported to use a Hughes processor that is essentially
a militarised Intel i960, a CPU dropped from the civilian market a
decade ago.

Keith