Old June 23rd 09, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

Default Glider insurance

On Jun 23, 7:25*am, "vaughn"
wrote:
"jsbrake" wrote in message

Perhaps I'm being naive, but wouldn't the FBO insure the glider and
pass on a portion of the insurance costs to the renter as part of the
time-for-use charge? *After all, the FBO should already have insurance
on the ship as a commercial operation.

* *It is indeed normal for an FBO (powered or glider) to insure rental
aircraft. *Like all costs, you can be sure that those costs are passed on
the renter. *Unfortunately, the renter gets little or no benefit form that
insurance because the "insured party" is normally defined as the FBO and the
owner of the aircraft (if they are different). *In this way, the insurers
"double dip" by retaining the right to claim damages from the renter in case
of accident. *For protection from this event, the renter must buy "renter's
insurance" to protect themselves from being sued by the insurance companies.
My renter's insurance costs me about $1,000/year and still only includes
modest hull coverage. *The only good part is that mine covers both gliders
and airplanes.

Vaughn

Yep. Insurance companies are in it for the money - they need a lot of
it so they can cover their subprime mortgage and Credit Default Swap
losses.

Renter's insurance is a great deal for them. They get to sell
hundreds of $1000/year policies on top of the FBO's policy.