Old July 19th 09, 12:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.military
[email protected][_2_]

Default F8 Crusader Variable Incidence Wing

Was the V-I wing any better or worse than the F-14's swing wings?

Different purpose: F-8 "V-I" wing allowed higher angle of attack on
approach without requiring a longer landing gear and causing pilot
visibility problems. Wing itself didn't change (other than the usual
flaps, etc).

F-14 swing wings change their geometry to a slow-speed, high aspect
ratio, high lift configuration - which also reduces the fuselage
approach angle compared to a fixed, lower aspect ratio wing (think
F-4). The F-14 wing in high speed configutation is a completely
different beast than a Turkey's low speed approach-configured wing.

Kirk