Old January 8th 04, 07:13 PM
ArtKramr

Subject: The nature of military justice.
From: Charles Gray
Date: 1/8/04 10:57 AM Pacific Standard Time

Many courts martials result
in the defendant being exhonerated (in 1997, the US Army had 40 acquittals
out of 741 general courts martials, and 46 acquittals out of 315 special
courts martials, for a convi

40 equitals out of 741 is hardly "many". And as anyone with extensive
experience in military service knows, once a board of inquiry recommends a
court marshal, the chance of equital is very small as your figures prove.

And
once the military discovers you intend to get civilian council, you might

find
youreself quietly threatened to just forget that idea.. Or else.

How difficult is it to get such a reccomendation from a Board of
inquiry? I know in some states the preliminary hearing is little more
than a formality, while in others some cases are tossed out. I'm
assuming that the board is much like a preliminary hearing in that
they decide whether the case needs to proceed to a full court.

States have nothing to do with it. We are talking about military boards of
Inquiries.

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at: