Old October 15th 09, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Brian Whatcott

Default GPS for the Out Of Touch - pt2

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe wrote:
"brian whatcott" wrote in message
I'm out of touch.
I'd like advice on selecting the
1) cheapest GPS that
2) can enter waypoints and
3) can display cross track error, time and distance to go.

It would also be pleasant to
4) dump track made good coordinates in a form that Google Earth could
handle, directly or indirectly.

That would be a used non-aviation GPS on Ebay...

I have an old Garmin GSMAP-76 that does all that. I suspect that just
about any GPS will also.

After reading "just about any GPS will do that" a couple of times
- the penny finally dropped.
I took that explorist 300 out again, and fooled around with it till I
found out how to define "points of interest" [waypoints] from the
vestigial map which did indeed show airfield symbols, then string them
together in a "Route" [Flightplan]
Ha! Whut an idjit!
Still, I do see what you mean now. Thanks again. :-)

Brian W