Old January 13th 04, 02:22 AM
George Ruch

(Peter Stickney) wrote:

In article ,
George Ruch writes:
(B2431) wrote:

The article on the F-117 kill (
http://www.aeronautics.ru/f117down.htm)
indicates that the kill was from two SA-6 missiles.

I've got to make a correction, here. The F-117 kill was made by an
SA-3 site.

I should have figured that. An SA-6 kill would have needed a lot of luck,
esp. once the guidance beam came on.

But... The inbound tracking was reportedly accomplished by a 1950's vintage
Soviet radar operating in the 165 - 190 cm range (158 - 181 MHZ). Useful
for ground-based early warning, but pretty much useless for fire control
purposes.

Which, BTW, is the normal EW/Air Search radar of the SA-3. Really old
missiles, like the SA-2 and SA-3 have, oddly enough, an advantage when
engaging stealth aircraft.

[much good info snipped]

I remember that setup from my old EW days. Add a decent LLTV/IR
combination and a decent crew and you'd have a very dangerous package.

Stealth doesn't mean that it disappears, it menas that the detection
ranges are much shorter.

True. I worked F-111s and F-15s when I was in. Barn doors compared to the
117.

| George Ruch |
| "Is there life in Clovis after Clovis Man?" |