Old December 11th 09, 03:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_10_]

Default Wing Ballast Distribution

On Dec 10, 7:08*pm, Eric Greenwell wrote:

Ballast towards the wings tips increases the g-limit at any given
weight versus ballast towards the wing root. It may or may not affect
the flutter limits - but my initial hypothesis would be that it
reduces the natural frequency of the wing in bending which would
probably help on flutter.

This sounds backwards to me. Won't that move the flutter speed to a
lower speed? I seem to recall one concern with adding winglets to older
gliders is the potential lowering of the speed for flutter onset.

Hmmm...maybe you're right. I'm not an expert on aeroelastics. My
thinking was that flutter at its core is like a mass-spring-damper
system. Given that the input aerodynamic forces don't change with mass
bending to the input force because it has more inertia. I would expect
most of the bending resistance would be structural (spring) resistance
rather than inertial (mass) resistance, so the effect could be small.
The lower natural frequency of the wing would correspond to a lower
speed for flutter onset, but the aerodynamic forces would be lower as
a function of the square of the speed, so what's the net effect? With
enough mass might you not get any flutter at all? May there also be
harmonic effects related to how many bending "waves" you get along the
span?

In any event, I think the main effect is the increase in g-limit due
to the reduced bending loads from the change in spanwise weight
distribution.

9B