Old January 16th 10, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold

Default experimental to standard certificate

Peter wrote:

Of course, its possible to ship it to Germany or most other places for
repair/holidays/any number of reasons, but it cannot be PERMANENTLY
exported with an FAA Certificate of Airworthiness or Export unless it is
transitioned from an FAA Standard Category Airworthiness Certificate.
You might be able to keep it on the US register in the other country and
have a US qualified Inspector give it the required annuals etc, but thats
likely to be costly and insurance may be a problem, but most countries
are likely to require a long term aircraft transition to the local
register eventually.

Is this a US export restriction, or a UK import restriction?

Both I believe.
US export, the FAA will only grant the Export CofA if they can be assured
the aircraft is 'safe' when it leaves the USA, ie. has a current Standard
Category CofA at the time export is applied for.
UK import, the aircraft must be documented properly in order for it to be
accepted onto the EASA Airworthiness Register, proper docs include export
CofA from the country its coming from, for similar reasons, it must be
'safe' which means Export CofA.

Can the glider just be dase-registered in US and re-registered or re-
certified in UK based on the original LBA certification?

I doubt it, there would be a huge paperwork gap that would raise
questions. Even if it could be done, I doubt I'd buy even a used car with
such a document gap.

I'm interested since I may find myself in the same situation one day.

Andy

Good luck with that, I have learned a lot in my research so far and no
doubt have more to learn...

Peter

I am pretty sure this is not true if you export to New Zealand. I
exported an experimental LS-3 to NZ a few years ago, it now is flying in
NZ, and there was no Export C of A.

Therefore, a "document gap" is possible, at least in NZ.