Old February 27th 10, 11:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Mark Hansen[_2_]

Default Legal vs. practical cloud cover for VFR

On 2/27/2010 3:39 PM, Peter Dohm wrote:
"Mark Hansen" wrote in message
On 2/27/2010 1:24 PM, Dallas wrote:
On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 13:00:50 +0100, Mxsmanic wrote:

VFR only requires that one stay a certain distance away from
clouds, but it doesn't impose any limit on the number or proximity of
clouds
in the sky

Not quite true.

The cloud ceiling is defined as the lowest cloud layer that is reported
as
broken or overcast.

Broken is defined as 5/8 to 7/8 coverage.

So VFR does specify limits of cloud density.

Well, that wasn't the point. Even if the sky was 7/8 covered with
clouds, you can legally fly VFR through a hole in the coverage,
provided you don't violate the cloud clearance and visibility minimums
for the area you are flying.

The ceiling doesn't really matter in this regard.

Ah yes, simple enough in an airplane, but very difficult in MSFS.

Peter :-))))
Lover of simple things

I think the OP is thinking of the clouds as though they were a bunch
of hot air balloons just floating around the sky which you just
navigate your way around as you fly. Although I agree this *can*
happen, I rarely see it that way in real life (at least at the
altitudes I fly).