Old March 16th 10, 02:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Grider Pirate

Default Cherokee Recovering update

On Mar 15, 6:24*am, Tony wrote:
On Mar 15, 7:21*am, "Paul Remde" wrote:

Hi Tony,

Cool! *Thanks for sharing!

I've never been involved in a wing recovering. *It looks a lot like covering
a remote control glider wing - which I have done - many years ago. *In the
video it appears that you are using an iron to attach the fabric to the
wood. *What is the iron heating up that causes the fabric to stick to the
wood? *What is the adhesive? *Just curious.

Thanks,

Paul Remde

Paul -

yes the iron is heating the adhesive which had been brushed on the
wing. *The Stewart Systems EkoBond glue is heat activated. *I found
this very convenient. We started each day by brushing the glue on the
wing where we wanted to attach the fabric, then letting it dry. *This
allowed us to put the fabric blanket on the wing and adjust its
position without it sticking to everything and smearing glue all over
the place. *Then with the iron we re-activated the glue and viola the
fabric was stuck. *Final step is to brush the glue through the fabric
to complete the bond and wipe off the excess.

Tony,
Do you also snug the fabric with heat? I got to play with a line of
products at Oshkosh in '97 that appear to be similar to what you're
using. Very much like covering a model wing with 'modern' materials.
Heat adhesive, heat shrink. Neat stuff.
Thanks for posting the video!