Old January 21st 04, 04:09 PM
Kevin Brooks

"George Z. Bush" wrote in message
Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"Fly Guy" wrote in message

Then why was Iraq prohibited from having scuds, regardless of the
payload?

Because the 1991 cease-fire didn't permit Iraq to have them.

Why not?

Because (a) unlike Yemen, Iraq had just been defeated in a war that had seen
them launch SRBM's against a non-belligerent nation, (b) Iraq, unlike Yemen,
had just proven it was more interested in offensive military power than in
its own defense, and (c) we already had intel (later confirmed) that unlike
the Yemenis, the Iraqis did indeed have chemical and/or biological warheads
for these missiles in their possession.

They were defensive weapons, weren't they?

The Iraqi's used their missiles as defensive weapons? I suspect a few
Israelis would disagree with you on that premise.

If not, why did we allow
Yemen to get theirs from NK.....at least, that's what we said when he

allowed
delivery to be completed?

Because of (a) thru (c), above.

Brooks