Old May 2nd 10, 12:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
VOR-DME[_3_]

Default KCHD to KMYF

MX knows quite a bit about aviation from a "theoretical" standpoint, but
because he does not actually practice any of it, he doesn't know how it
works. I would not add even 10nm to my route simply out of fear of making a
radio call. I will file, or just fly what works for me, and not go out of my
way unless I have to. Nine times out of ten they give you what you ask for,
exception being the busy Northeast.

MX cannot offer any real insight or advice on flying, not only because he
does not fly, but because he is terrified of airplanes and actual flying.

In article ,
says...

Direct might be a challenge, since KPHX-KMYF direct would take him through
half a dozen restricted areas, some of which are continuously active and
extend to 80,000 feet MSL (missile firing ranges). V66 is a corridor that
passes between the restricted areas (in fact, it looks like the restricted
areas and airway were deliberately designed that way), and it's only 10 nm
longer than a direct route (a 4% increase).

The Great American West is filled with wide open spaces, but unfortunately

the
U.S. military has confiscated many of them, especially in the desert
southwest.