Old January 22nd 04, 09:16 PM
Bruce Simpson

On 22 Jan 2004 08:46:18 -0800, (robert arndt) wrote:

There's *no way* that the starting-air feeds to the Argus engine could
produce sufficient volume-flow to do anything other than start the
engine. If the Argus wasn't capable of running without forward
air-speed it simply would not run -- regardless of the relatively
small volume of compressed air used to start it.

The pulsejet isn't running off a small volume of compressed air. The
distributor unit left of the ramp is feeding it and controlling the 7
second burn up to operating temperature.

Based on some quick mental calculations the Argus requires something
like 1,500 cubic feet of air per minute when running. I'll leave you
to do the calculations but rest assured that there is *no* connection
to the Argus engine capable of supporting anything like that flow-rate
-- and I have a full set of plans here.

Sorry, but the physics and operating cycle of the pulsejet and ramjet
are as different as night and day.

We are talking As 014 here, an athodyd motor. One stovepipe vs another
except that to achieve pulse detonation some parts are needed in the
pulsejet.

Sorry but there is *no* detonation in a pulsejet engine. Go do some
research on the difference between deflagration and detonation.

Boils down to simple intermittent combustion vs continous
combustion. Both a ramjet and pulsejet need close to 200 mph minimum
to operate independently.

operating statically with absolutely *no* forced air. You'll even see
the video of my large pulsejet engine that starts simply by turning on
the gas and the spark with not a zephyr of forced air anywhere in the
vicinity.

Indeed, a gas-turbine engine is
closer to a ramjet than a pulsejet is.

Not in any way since neither a ramjet nor pulsejet have a compressor
or turbine.

Incorrect -- a gas-turbine is a constant combustion device,like a
ramjet and whereas a turbine has a rotating compressor, the ramjet
achieves an increase in static pressure by using a diffuser (go read
up on Bernoulli's theorum to see how that works.

Note also that both the gast turbine and ramjet perform constant
pressure combustion whereas the pulsejet approximates constant volume
combustion.

There are indeed more similarities between a ramjet and a gas-turbine
than there are between a ramjet and a pulsejet -- but don't take my
word for it -- go do some reading.

--
you can contact me via
http://aardvark.co.nz/contact/