Old May 25th 10, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Default TYVEK for Glider Cover

On 5/24/2010 8:57 PM, wrote:
On May 19, 5:51 pm, wrote:

I am considering to replace the top surface of our glider cover with
TYVEK-RV. I am thinking to leave the white side out. Our current
covers really have discolored to brown and the skins have shrunk some.

Anyone have some TYVEK-experience when used as glider covers. I am
specifically worried about any interaction between the wing gel-coat
and the TYVEK, in the rain, in the sunshine and in the wind.
Thanks for any information and suggestions.
Heinz

Heinz: I have been researching Tyvek lately. It has a PH of 7,
therefore is chemically neutral. Tyvek soft cloth is water resistant,
blocks 98# of UV, is non abrasive, reflective and lowers the
temperature of what is covering more than any other fabric. It
breathes and will evaporate any moisture trapped under it. One of the
versions is coated by aluminum on one side and lowers the temperature
further than the white cloth. Let me know if I may help further.
Ted (race # TED) LS-4 owner.

Several years ago, a pilot at Ephrata (Len Edvinson) replaced the outer
fabric on the top surface of his Jaxida covers. That worked well, as the
covers were OK except for the top outer piece, and was easy to do.

My wife made wing and tail covers for my ASH 26 E. She said the sewing
was easy. I use these as "sun covers" (along with a Ridge Sewing canopy
cover) to protect it during camps and contests, when I know I'll be
flying the next day, day after day. I don't know if they would be
suitable for parking the glider out during the entire soaring season,
but they are light weight and easy to use. I bought a 100 yard roll for
~$400, used less than a third of it for my glider, sold a third to
another pilot, and my wife sold the rest to other quilters in the area a
yard or two at a time!

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (netto to net to email me)

- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm
http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl

- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation Mar/2004" Much of what you need to know tinyurl.com/yfs7tnz