Old January 31st 04, 05:09 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Spiv" wrote in message

The wisdom of our resident redneck. I advise you to look into the

Brabazon
project instead of babbling balls. It was the forerunner of "every"

modern
airliner and too far ahead of its time, being too big. Any problems seen
were rectified and/or noted for future planes.

********, the basic assumption behind the Brabazon 1 was deeply
flawed. The basic assumption was that only senior civil servants and
the very wealthy would fly by air so the aircraft was built with
the accent on luxury not cost.

The pattern for post war travel was set by the Lockheed Constellation
and Boeing Stratocruiser. Both PRECEDED the Brabazon in service
and were superior in almost every way when viewed from the point
of view of offering improved costs and consequently sold in large numbers
as the market for airline travel expanded.

Aircraft No Passengers Range Cruise Speed
Brabazon 60-80 5,500 miles 300 mph
Stratocruiser 55-100 4,500 miles 340 mph
Super Connie 60-80 4,500 miles 340 mph

In Service dates

Brabazon - NEVER
Stratocruiser - 1949 (PanAm and BOAC)
Lockheed Constellation - 1942 (ordered by TWA but seized by USAAF )

The Brabazon is a classic example of what happens when you
let a government committee drive aircraft design

The aircraft tendered for the type III Brabazon specification, the Bristol
Brittania
was a MUCH more succesful design and was built despite the Brabazon
committee
not because of it.

Keith