Old December 21st 10, 06:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Am I too old to fly?

writes:

By your black and white, one size fits all interpretation, anyone that can't
pass the phyical for astronauts is "not fit to fly".

No. By my interpretation, anyone who could not pass a third-class FAA medical
is not eligible to fly with a light sport license. That's the obvious
interpretation of the regulations, but it is clear that the FAA left a
loophole in them deliberately, by allowing pilots to certify themselves.

I suppose this is tacit recognition that the medical standards are too high,
but it avoids actually lowering the standards and risking the heat if a pilot
causes a crash due to medical issues. The FAA can always say that the pilot
didn't follow the regulations.