Old January 14th 11, 10:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Randy[_2_]

Default Another midair in the pattern

Yesterday, while on a 15 mile final in a B777, we
has a Cessna 182 pass 300 feet below us.
We got a traffic alert from ATC and a warning on
our TCAS (Traffic Collision Alert System). This is
very similar to the FLARM. From about 1/2 mile, we
finally had him visually as we flew over him. If the
pilot was looking out his window, there is no way he
could have missed seeing us.
When we get an alert from our TCAS, it really helps
us to locate the position of the threat, otherwise we
we don't need to look at it.
Everyone General Aviation/Glider pilot should have
a PCAS or FLARM. A midair with a commercial aircraft
will have devastating consequences for all of us.

Randy