Old March 13th 11, 05:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

Default Give away: 14V automatic charger

"T8" wrote in message ...
On Mar 12, 9:59 pm, 150flivver wrote:
On Mar 12, 10:09 am, T8 wrote:

Never heard of a 14 volt battery. 12 volt batteries are normally
charged at 13-14 volts, so you normally see 14 volt "systems"
utilizing a 12 volt battery.

This is old school. Some radios designed for 13.8V nominal (which is
what a "12V" alternator provides) and did poorly on 12 and quit
entirely at 11.something, hence the 14V setup for gliders. It was
fairly common in the 1980s and I suspect my 20B was set up that way by
the original owner. Mine had a 10AH 14V pack consisting of two 6V 5
AH batteries plus two 4V 10AH batteries. Creative. Heavy. So when
they got tired, I switched to 12. Modern radios, by and large, work
just fine on 12V.

-T8

I use to have the system described above in my Ka-6E to power the Terra radio. It worked very well.

Wayne
HP-14V "6F"
http://www.soaridaho.com/