Old September 7th 11, 09:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default Region 12 contest cancelled ....

On 9/7/11 1:14 PM, BobW wrote:
On 9/6/2011 5:32 PM, RAS56 wrote:
As a relative newcomer to the sport, my 2 cents on why there's a general
decline in participation in contest soaring is that there is a general
lack of a structure and interest of "passing XC knowledge" along in the
soaring community to new guys. Folks just want to go to the gliderport
on Saturday, assemble and fly, and I can't necessarily blame them.

You seem to have this aspect of weekend (U.S., club-based) soaring
accurately diagnosed, IMO. The time some (not all) folks want to BS is
*after* the day's soaring. *Then* is a great time to listen in and
occasionally prime the pump with ad-hoc questions of personal interest.
You'll soon figure out which pilots are genuinely interested in helping
you ascend to the next level by sharing their own experience(s); bug
'em, they'll be happy to share.

Its sad that folks are having trouble finding XC mentors. This has just
*never* been my experience. Flying out of Hollister CA there were
several instructors and private owners willing to mentor, and local fun
races organized with the intention that new XC pilots can tag along.
Thanks especially to Ramy Yanetz for arranging the race series,
mentoring XC pilots and acting as lead pilot in lead and follow XC
flights. I have tried to return the favor, taking pilots up in a two
seater for their early XC flights and helping with lead and follow. BASA
(Bay Area Soaring Associates) really encourages new members to ride XC
in their DG-1000 or DG-505 with experienced XC members then get them
into the Pegasus etc. Air Sailing organizes thermalling and cross
country camps that are well regarded. Williams Soaring has experienced
XC instructors that can help take you XC in a Duo Discus or do
lead-follow. And there are experienced XC private owners who fly out of
Williams who do very good lead/follow mentoring. Morgan at Avenal has a
Duo Discus and is using it to really encourage/mentor XC soaring. I know
Cindy Brickner does great XC instructing/mentoring. Soaring NV does as
well. But yes I still know that there are places where this does not
happen and its sad. My best advice is ask politely, show you really are
interested and have read up, are prepared (studied the areas, landout
options, etc. and can already thermal OK, have flown small local
triangles around the home gliderport, have a flight recorder or some
other way to record flights and SeeYou to analyze flights if possible,
etc.). Then if you really cannot find somebody to help I'd advise going
elsewhere or taking a vacation trip to somewhere you can get high
quality mentoring help.

Darryl