Old March 1st 04, 07:34 AM
Dave Kearton

"callsignzippo" wrote in message
om...
| you may recall before the age of sat links, uplink, downlink repeaters
| etc. If you care to respond I would be interested in wx conditions
| and location at the time.
|
| Thanks
| Rico

I joined the Australian Army in '77, so my info is all second hand.

Had a range instructor who told me that he was 'politely' asked to select
another frequency as he was interrupting an air strike on Hue. He
believed it must have been USN because of the frequent and creative use of
the word '****'.
Period would have been '69 and location was central NSW, distance of a
couple of thousand km with a PRC 25 set.

Different officer, different time told me of regular (almost daily)
conversations from Darwin to the Australian Task Force at Nui Dat. Same
period and the duration was about 10 minutes each evening from about 1600.
I'm guessing a PRC 25 or 77 as this officer was a grunt at the time (not
that there's anything wrong with that)

Cheers

Dave Kearton