Old March 8th 12, 09:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_2_]

Default vintage motorglider for sale

On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 13:54:15 -0800, Craig Funston
wrote:

On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 13:34:02 -0800, Martin Gregorie
wrote:

On Wed, 07 Mar 2012 18:12:04 -0800, Bill D wrote:

On Mar 7, 6:47 pm, Tony wrote:
On Mar 7, 7:05 pm, GM wrote:

On Wednesday, March 7, 2012 3:17:37 PM UTC-5, Tony wrote:
needs a little work.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=276309655

Can this one be aero-towed or winch launched? Getting the fuel for
the small rocket engine might become a problem. That stuff was said
to have some nasty habits like catching fire when it comes in
contact
with certain materials and being extremely corrosive.

i think i saw something online that the US acquired a few after the
war
and towed them with B-29's while test pilots checked them out. Perhaps
we need to notify the Commemorative Air Force and see if they will put
a towhook on Fifi!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmSNqHckry8

That's obviously the unpowered replica.

Nearly a year ago I visited RAF Cosford on a wet day during a CGC
gliding expedition to The Mynd. Cosford which has a fantastic
collection
of Cold War British aircraft including all the V-bombers as well as a
wonderful collection of late 60s British experimental jets and a
selection of WW2 aircraft including a Me-163B. I was intrigued to see it
has a tow hook in exactly the same place as that replica and wonder why.
Was it for aero-towed retrieves if it had to land out after a combat
sortie and/or for moving them between airfields?

Here's an excellent video with lots of detailed shots. Tost hook is
clearly shown. Also, I'd never noticed the split flaps / drag devices
which are deployed in this video. Revolutionaly airplane in many
aspects.

Craig

It might help to add the link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrMmm...layer_embedded