Old September 23rd 12, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Purdie[_3_]

Default Best performing Vario?

Another vote for the Clearnav vario. In answer to the question below, the
longer you soar, and the more different gliders (and instruments) you fly
with, the easier it is to decide whether the instrument is agreeing with
what you know from feel the glider is doing in the air. When you are
climbing with other people real differences show up. Horizontal gusts can
make a simple TE vario think the rate of climb has increased, when the
glider isn't in fact climbing at that time. The Clearnav is also new tech
withmultiple pressure sensors, 3-axis accelerometers, and good software to
show you what the glider is doing in reality. In my biased opinion, it is
far better than anything else I have flown with.

The user interface is straighforward, and the advanced extra features
(including IGC recorder) are well on the way.

As John Cochran has pointed out, mechanical varios (however good) are
antiques now - good audio for eyes out of cockpit are vital.

So many of you say the Clearnav vario is fantastic. What is it about that

vario that makes it better than any other? How do
you recognise that it is better?

The Butterfly sounds like genuine new tech - using accelerometers as well

as pressure change. I can
imagine that this must achieve a better result,
but I cannot imagine how I would recognise that better
result. How would I decide whether to spec my next glider
with an LX 9000 or to save money and use a Butterfly plus
Oudie?