Old December 18th 12, 12:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Gibbons[_2_]

Default Q: Position of external Flarm RF antenna on tow plane Aviat Husky A1

On Mon, 17 Dec 2012 12:55:32 -0800 (PST), RuudH
wrote:

Hi All,
We are installing a Flarm in our Aviat Husky A1 tow plane.
For better Flarm RF performance it will be better to use a external Flarm FR antenna like this one:
http://www.butterfly-store.de/en/Ext...+FLARM,i10.htm

Does anyone have experience with the best position of a Flarm RF antenna on a tow plane?

Thnx for you help.

On our Pawnees we stuck the standard short dipoles high on the inside
of the windscreen. Seems to work OK.

Typical tow flights are too short to run a range analysis on the
flight logs to judge for sure.

You don't say where you are located, but be aware that the European
Flarms operate on a slightly different frequency than the US version.
Antennas intended for European PF use would likely not be optimum.

Bob