Old April 12th 13, 12:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

Default FAA Plans to Change to Radios with 8.33 MHz spacing?

Paul,

Am I missing something here? Don't we currently have 0.25 MHz spacing and
isn't the plan to divide that into three channels which would make 0.0833
MHz spacing?

Respectfully,

Wayne

"Paul Remde" wrote in message ...

Hi,

I imagine someone on this newsgroup can point me in the right direction on a
technical/FAA question.

Becker offers 2 versions of their AR6201 radio. The original version has
frequency spacing that can be set to either 25 mHz or 8.33 mHz. The new,
slightly lower cost option has frequency spacing fixed at 25 MHz It is my
understanding that the 8.33 MHz spacing is required in Europe, but not
currently in the USA. Customers are asking me whether the FAA has any plans
to go to the 8.33 MHz spacing in the near future - so they can be better
equipped to select the radio version that makes sense. At a recent soaring
seminar someone stated that they thought the FAA was going to require radios
with the 8.33 MHz spacing starting in 2020.

Can anyone help me?

Thank you in advance.

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.