Old June 16th 13, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom K (ES)

Default Canopy open incident.

I am not ashamed to admit it was me.

After I landed and saw the footage I felt that it could be a great learning video on decisionmaking. Could I have done things differently, yes. This is not the goal of humiliating myself online. It is to demonstrate that we have options and to evaluate the options to the best of one's abilities. By going through my thought process it provides examples of the different options I thought about and explained what I did.

BTW, 2 engine failures in helicopters, a tail rotor drive shaft failure in the mountains in Alaska, and a couple of single engine failures in twin engine helicopters make a person always look for where am I going to go "if happens"...

Tom