Old July 15th 13, 05:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Anybody running a Butterfly Vario with XCSoar?

On Sunday, July 14, 2013 11:09:15 PM UTC-4, Richard wrote:
On Sunday, July 14, 2013 11:08:50 AM UTC-7, jfitch wrote:

Got a question: the Butterfly wind vector and the XCSoar wind vector (derived from Butterfly information) seem to disagree by 180 degrees. That is they point toward each other. XCSoar seems to believe it too, based on glide calculations. I am using the LX format output on the Butterfly. I am assuming the arrow on each is intended to point the direction the wind it blowing towards, I.e., a vector. From observation, the Butterfly appears to be correct, XCSoar 180 off. Has anyone seen this? Another question for XCSoar users: There must be some better way to edit a task in the air than I have discovered. The only way I have found to do it is (Double tap)NavTaskTurnpointsAdd TurnpointAdd Turnpoint again (or select)(Scroll through list and find turn point)(Select turn point)(Select again or touch 'Select')(Hit up arrow several times to get it to the right place)CloseFly. Minimum of 12 taps and maybe a lot more. There must be a much quicker way with a lot less head down time. What is it?

In my glider the Butterfly wind is similar to the PowerFlarm - V7(ISU firmware) - Ultimate Le running SeeYou PNA. So I don't think it is a Butterfly problem.

Richard

Craggy Aero LLC

It's interesting that when I was using SoarPilot with Condor a while back
it would interpret the wind data coming in the LX sentences in the opposite
direction that Condor indicated. Now, when I use XCSoar the wind always
agrees exactly with Condor. A number of years ago I had SoarPilot connected
to an LX5000, but I wound up treating it as a generic GPS source rather
than using the vario data since SP's lift graph never worked right if I
told it it was connected to an LX.

On a related note I'm hoping to finally see what XCSoar makes of my
Clearnav data this weekend.

Matt