Old August 25th 13, 03:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Firth[_4_]

Default Sticking winter vario

Try putting it in a sealed jar with dry silica gel (blue).
If there is condensation this should dry it out.
JMF

At 05:54 25 August 2013, Chris Rollings wrote:
Try taking it home and putting it in the airing cupboard for a few days.
Doesn't always work but worth a try.

At 20:55 24 August 2013, Ian wrote:
On 08/21/2013 07:15 PM, Ian Reekie wrote:

I have a 10+ year old 57mm Winter vario that has just started sticking

when
it reaches its full positive deflection. A gentle tap on the glass
releases the needle.
I guess it will need a trip to Winter this winter (no joke intended).

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what causes this sticking and has
anyone successfully fixed this problem in the past.

We had the same symptoms in our 57mm Winter mechanical vario, after the
glider had been out of service for maintenance for a month or two. We
ignored it for a while and after 4 or 5 flights the problem went away.
That was a few years ago and the problem has not recurred.

I can only think that there was some condensation in our instrument
during the lay up and that some "internal ventilation" and/or solar
heating on the front panel dried it out again.

So maybe try and fix it by flying it!

another Ian