View Single Post
Old February 19th 14, 08:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kevin Christner
external usenet poster

Default Glider Collections

On Wednesday, February 19, 2014 2:47:07 PM UTC-5, JS wrote:
We all know who will win the Classic Collection Contest.

Interesting to know where two ASW12s are. Which one does Kevin have? Dave Nelson's 15m version? Mark Grubb's complete refurb? Oder....

The only prescription is more Kowbell!

Jim

I have Mark Grubb's. The canopy mod, gas struts allowing 90 degree movement to the rear, is very nice. Unfortunately the polyurethane has not held up well and large areas are cracking off.

AJ and George flew Elfe S3's in 1968. However, if you look at any two S3's, even those with sequential s/n's, while they look the same, they are often internally very different.

Does anyone know if there are any other currently airworthy ASW-12s out there? Not sure how far along Steve is on his. Rick Walters' is working on his. Last I talked to him he was planning on installing spoilers as part of the rebuild process.

The holy grail right now is the 604. Four are sitting in Arizona. No contact from the owner after repeated attempts. I'd also like to get a Sisu. Appears to still be a few airworthy. Only one I've heard of flying recently is AJ's that Dick Butler has and is restoring for eventual return to the NSM.