Old April 6th 04, 08:18 AM
Paul J. Adam

In message , Jim Yanik
writes
"Paul J. Adam" wrote in
:
As a side note, in the UK "duty of retreat" doesn't apply in your home:
you're allowed to use whatever means are reasonable and necessary to
defend yourself if attacked there.

Yes,it's just the definition of "reasonable and necessary" that's
questionable,arbitrary,and vague.

....which is interpreted by a jury of your peers if necessary. It's
worked for the last seven hundred years or so (there's case law going
back to the 1300s). A basic rule of thumb is "hurt them until they run
away, then stop unless they turn back".

IMO,once they're in my home,they're a threat to my life.
You cannot consider it otherwise,there's always that possibility.

No problem: you just need to raise a reasonable doubt on those lines in
the minds of the jury. If Fred Barras had been shot in the chest then
Tony Martin would probably have been acquitted.

--
When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite.
W S Churchill