Old April 15th 04, 09:17 PM
Tex Houston

"Bob's Your Uncle" wrote in message
In
In this reference, as is typical, the AOB who wrote the story got it

wrong.
the Pilots were known as 4, count 'em 4 -headed Monsters, 1.Pilot, 2.
Navigator, 3. Bombardier, 4. Radar Observer. They were RATED in all 4
Specialties and entitled to wear all 4 sets of Wings.

This quote:"General LeMay originally had decided to fill all three crew
seats with rated pilots called "Triple Headed Monsters". This was a

costly
ill-conceived idea, which was abandoned as it soon became evident that
pilots made poor radar navigators. "
is completely false.
Never was this the plan, the reason for the 4-headed Monster AC and CP was
the workload was too great for the AOB in the nose and skilled and
knowledgeable Pilots could assist the overburdened AOB.
Over 3,000 Pilots were sent through the B-47 program becoming 4-headed
Monsters!

I know of two references to multi-headed monsters in B-47 units, one, the
original program (Mather AFB?) in which the bombardier/navigator/RADAR
observer graduates were called that and two, the follow-on where some of
these people went to flight school and became pilot/bombardier/navigators
also called triple headed monsters. In no case do I ever remember
four-headed term being used. Realize this though...back then I was mostly
an air defense type and was not that familiar with B-47 units. Too bad this
subject had not come up before as I had breakfast in Phoenix last month with
a B-47 pilot.

Google had nothing on your program nor do I have a decent B-47 history.

Regards,

Tex Houston