Old April 20th 04, 10:29 PM
B2431

From: "Jim Doyle"

snip

I'm not desperately urging you guys to throw down your guns, shout
hallelujahs and join the British way of life. I'm just fascinated as to why
you so readily defend your right to shoot someone where really no right
should exist.

Jim Doyle

I don't think anyone is advocating shooting anyone. I personally have drawn my
weapon and it ended peacefully. No, I'm not law enforecment.

Having said that there is a real fear of injury or death at the hands of
criminals. I used to own a sporting goods store that sold guns. I lost a few
sales suggesting little old ladies get medium size barking dogs instead of
guns. I specified 'barking' since the bad guy is more likely go away without
entering when the dog lights up. If you have a nonbarking dog that bites the
bad guy you leave yourself open for a lawsuit. Believe it or not in the U.S. a
burglar can sue for injuries incurred in the commission of his crime.

I don't think a person should HAVE to fight with an intruder so I truly believe
a law abiding citizen should be allowed to keep and carry loaded fire arms.
Consideration must be given to the safety of children in the home.

To be fair most of the fears felt by citizens is unfounded and aggrivated by
alarmist news media, but if a firearm in the house makes one feel safe why
should it be anyone else's business? Would you rather we were unarmed and
afraid?

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired