Old October 7th 15, 02:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Auto-Towing - why is this not more popular?

WB, I 'm glad you like winch launching. However, I do have just one tiny nit to pick just for the benefit of those not familiar with winch launch. Pilots don't "drop" the rope, they release it (or more likely, it auto-releases). Then the parachute opens preventing the rope from dropping too fast. That gives the winch operator plenty of time to wind in the rope all the way to the winch before it can hit the ground. There's usually less than 100' of rope left out when the winch stops.

If a winch is capable of it, the transmission can be shifted to overdrive and the 'chute ripped out of the sky at more than 100mph to minimize drift. Of course, the operator has to be absolutely certain he can stop the drum before the 'chute is pulled through the fairlead.

On Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 2:38:05 PM UTC-6, WB wrote:

All of these objections to winch launch have been put to rest. If you want to see small field winch operations, use Google Earth to look at European, particularly German, glider airports. Many are as short as 1000m and surrounded by trees. Just pick club names from OLC and enter them in the GE search field.

Winch launch will never drop the rope anywhere except right in front of the winch unless the rope breaks which is getting very rare with ultra-strong ropes.

If a pilot really thinks a distant tow is necessary, then use a sustainer from a winch launch.

SSA group insurance offers winch coverage for traveling to and operating at any airfield.

I would not classify a 1000m field as particularly short. I have operated winch and auto launch off of shorter fields, but it is not too good for anything but pattern practice. I would say that in some ways winching can do something that aerotow would not do as well: With a winch you only need 1000 feet (or less) of launching/landing area if the winch can be placed a sufficient distance beyond the "runway" end. That opens up a lot of possibilities for flying from non-airports. I agree that when everything works correctly the winch line will not end up in the trees. However, there's always the pilot who forgets to correct for crosswind and drops the rope too far downwind or the line breaks and falls into the trees. Even the synthetics break occasionally. Timely replacement when worn makes breaks unlikely. And with synthetics we no longer have the problem of a highly conductive steel cable on power lines.

Glad to hear that SSA group plan covers winch transport. That may not have always been the case. Or, it might have just been the case that our self mobile winch was not insured for over the road. That winch left us a long time ago. Wish we had it back.