Old June 8th 04, 12:01 PM
Stephen Harding

Default A-10 in WWII??

We've had a couple scenarios of aircraft going back in
time and speculation on what sort of effect they'd have.

I just saw a show on the A-10 Warthog with a top speed
of 420 mph. That's WWII fighter speeds (although I'm
not certain at what altitude).

Since an A-10 can carry something like 16,000 pounds of
weapons, at the speeds it flies, it would be one hell of
a WWII bomber. I'll bet even Art would ditch Willie in
a second to fly such a machine.

But what about as a fighter? Other than the extreme
ruggedness of the aircraft, would it have been any good
in fighter contests, especially in Europe, but in the
Pacific as well?

Seems the 30mm canon is a bit over kill for fighters.
Probably just load it up with a bunch of 20mm canons
in wings and as would fit in the nose.

It wouldn't be much good taking over mustang escort
duty since its range is only about 800 miles.

The aircraft seems very maneuverable, but I have no clue
how its roll rate, climb, dive and turn/stall performance
compare with a late WWII fighter of German or Japanese
pedigree.

Could an A-10 hold its own, or best, an Me 109 or FW 190?
An Oscar, Zero, Tony, Frank, whatever?

No doubt the marines in the Pacific would love the A-10
and the harrassed German ground transport would really
take a thrashing if this aircraft showed up. But would
the fighter opposition be quaking in their flight boots?

SMH