Old July 20th 16, 06:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Al-Ko Trailer Tongue failure

On Monday, July 11, 2016 at 1:43:56 PM UTC-7, Auxvache wrote:
Thanks F1 and company--love the shared knowledge here.

I've had one nose cone bolt and one front handle/top bolt fail, and carry all spares. Just back from Utah, and I'm again amazed and dismayed at some of our roads in the U.S. The road-bridge-road junction must be very hard to engineer--ugh.

Anyone successfully upgrade the Cobra suspension to help with the sharp jar and also big dips? I run 13" trailer tires at high psi, original steel rims. Does Cobra offer a heavy duty option for insert-state-here?

Thanks in advance.

That bolt did not fail because it was under-specified for the application - there is something else going on here. Adding a bolt with greater strength will not resolve the issue. Just think about it: what forces are being applied to the bolt by towing that would have caused it to fail? As an engineer, I have seen so many times when people become fixated on the wrong cause of the problem (I have done it myself). You may have just have had a nut that came loose because of vibration.

Tom