Old December 3rd 16, 09:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default AOPA PILOT "In Praise of Soaring"

Having done 99.999% of my power and soaring flying in the Mountains that is the norm for me. However WB makes a great point, what can we do. The comment I get 100% of the time is "oh, you mean hang glider". I get this from pilots and non-pilots! How the hell is it that hang gliding is top on the mind of the non-soaring public when mentioning soaring? (Do they even fly hang gliders anymore, seems like paragliding is the rage).

I have given glider rides to 5 of my pilot friends and have offered to many more. No one was interested in more than just one ride, and I am a nice guy. The AOPA article has great photography, but how many power pilots will really read the story?

On Saturday, December 3, 2016 at 12:31:17 PM UTC-8, WB wrote:
"Oh, I thought you could only do that in the mountains." Where do you suppose people get that idea?

The purpose of my comment was not to register displeasure with CP's article. What I hoped for was to encourage some discussion of how we promote soaring as something accessible to the average person.