Old December 19th 16, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

Default Static Wing Load Testing of Old Wooden Glider Wings

On Sunday, December 18, 2016 at 6:24:51 PM UTC-8, Scott Williams wrote:

I do not think there is any way to perform a meaningful non destructive load test on potentially airworthy wings.

When we static tested the first set of HP-24 wings, we had two major objectives:

* Establish that the wings would safely support at least utility-category limit load.

* Establish that our calculations of wing stiffness, and their underlying assumptions, were valid.

To that end, we did a static test to 4.4g while measuring wing deflection. The test was observed by three experienced aeronautic engineers, and none of them thought it out of the ordinary. No anomalies were noted, and the deflection was within about 0.5" of that predicted. Those wings now have about 600 hours of flight time on them.

Thanks, Bob K.