Old February 11th 17, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default S80 S100 stick controller how helpful?

I have the exact configuration - except a DG-202. The main benefit of the stick is reach. When reclined in the DG cockpit with the straps snug up tight, the stick becomes invaluable. Unless you have monkey arms, you won't be able to reach the instrument without loosening the straps. I love it.

I always thermal with some flaps, usually the 1st setting (+4), so I wired the "vario priority" switch to the +4 flap setting. This causes the vario to go to thermal mode as soon as the flap hits +4 (or higher). Once I move the flap handle to 0 or negative values, the vario returns to the previous setting - glide mode if that is what it was before. The momentary switch on the stick to change between glide and climb modes is very convenient.

BTW, I have a general rule that if your instrument has the ability to utilize remote switches, use them. The reason is that switches will wear out over time. I'd much prefer to wear out a remote switch that can be replaced easily and cheaply, than to wear out a switch/dial on the vario head unit itself.