Old June 24th 04, 03:48 PM
Ed Rasimus

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 06:12:25 -0400, "R Haskin"
wrote:

"Ed Rasimus" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 12:55:39 -0400, John Hairell
wrote:

It goes back to the radio frequencies again. Army aviation flies on
VHF and talks to ground units on FM. (I'm not sure what the A-10
carries for radios--I think they've got Victor, which would be
essential for the old JATT operations.

I'm pretty sure that Hogs these days are sporting UHF, VHF, and FM.

As the song goes, "He got right on the horn and gave the DASC a call....."

This radio issue was a player for F-15Es flying CAS over in Iraq, as we were
Uniform only.

Well, if it's CAS, it needs to be talking to someone on the ground.
That usually means a FAC (even in these days of "no-mo A-FAC"), and
that means an ALO or G-FAC who is going to have the necessary comm
gear. A lot has changed since I was in that business, so methods of
comm, validation of targets, coordination of fires, etc. have evolved
considerably. We often over-simplify the picture, with a concept of a
laser spot in the hands of every other grunt to provide pinpoint
delivery of massive airpower anywhere required. It ain't that simple
by a long shot.

If nothing else in your Iraq scenario the Mud Hens should have been
able to UHF to brigade TOC and talk to the ALO who could be relaying
through the S-3 fire coordination element to spot the requirements.
Cumbersome, but doable.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"