Old February 19th 17, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

Default S-turns on final

On Sunday, 19 February 2017 13:33:25 UTC+2, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 02:11:37 -0800, krasw wrote:

The irony of reading this, and then discovering link to something called
"soaringsafety" below.

No irony: there's nothing dangerous about using brakes to scrub off
excess height - its easy-peasy in a Discus 1 or K21: just follow Eric's
excellent directions if you haven't done it before. Just make sure that
you're not trying it for the first time on a short runway. You shouldn't
need the extra length but it makes a nice comfort blanket.

I haven't tried it yet in my Libelle because I haven't needed to:
slipping one brings it down like a sack of anvils what with all the extra
drag from pushing its razor-back tail boom sideways.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Sorry, speed control in approach has been ironed to my skull. Sure you can do anything you want, land inverted if you like, but what is the point? We have brakes and slip which both get you you down with safe approach speed.