Old February 28th 17, 04:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default Test results LiFePO4 glider batteries after 6 years

On Monday, February 27, 2017 at 6:12:49 PM UTC-8, wrote:
Updating on my results from deep discharging/prolonged recharging.

My 2 season old K2 LiFePO4 battery was showing a drop to 60.5% (5.8 Ah)when tested using a West Mountain Radio CBA III with 1.5A constant discharge current and test cut off of 11.0V.

After 2 cycles of discharge and 10 day recharge, the battery is back to 93.2% (8.95 Ah) of original. Pretty good results.

Keep in mind that it is the act of recharging that causes the cell balancing, once the battery is charged fully or near fully the cell balancing stops (in most of these cheap schemes). No cell balancing takes place (typically) on discharge as doing so wastes energy. The best strategy may be to do several discharge/charge cycles to 40 - 50% or so in succession. Slow charging may be best if you can arrange it - the bypass shunts are very limited in capacity and would be more effective with lower charging currents.