View Single Post
Old April 8th 17, 02:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

Default SPOT pricing going up again...

A bit of creep, but it is related to 'stuff you can buy to manage adverse contingencies' and InReach.

I was planning to fly gliders outside of North America and shopping for Travel Insurance. I read the fine print of several policies and found that the Medical Evacuation Benefit (and other medical benefits) are EXCLUDED if the accident occurs in a non-commercial aircraft.

Then I found that the policy offered by GEOS (related to the InReach SOS button) INCLUDES incidents that occur in 'licensed aircraft'. That includes sailplanes (but probably excludes paragliders etc.). The price seemed reasonable, (as it also includes medical care to stabilize patient prior to evacuation), and it runs for 12 months (unlike most travel policies), and the benefit is also usable in the USA whenever the incident occurs more than 100 miles from your home.

http://www.geosalliance.com/geos-ser...al-evacuation/

The exclusion for non-commercial aircraft is spelled out in the catch all 'Adventure Sports' exclusion. I found one other Travel Insurance policy that included 'Adventure Sports' (the insurance industry term of art), but it was pricey and only good for 90 days.

YMMV. Heed the fine print. I'm not an 'insurance professional'.