Old August 10th 17, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default Medical Cannula with EDS

I agree with Dan is entire thread is silly. Ok so a Mountain High cannula is $3 more. I have used the same cannula for four years in the west. If you replace these cannulas every ten minutes the $3 MIGHT impact your soaring budget but, come on! This is even worse than the guy who wanted to kludge together an aviation 02 kit from medical 02 equipment.

On Thursday, August 10, 2017 at 7:56:22 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
Interesting discussion.

So I went to the Mountain High website to price their cannulas. Holy
crap, Batman! Those things cost EIGHT US Dollars each! Then I want
over to Amazon and found them at a much more reasonable price of about
$5. Jeezus! When I think of all the things I could buy with that
difference of $3, it just makes me ill... I'm probably paying an extra
penny per flight using the recommended equipment!

On 8/10/2017 6:59 AM, wrote:
"It is a great product when used as designed!"

I have been using nothing but EDS units since my hang gliding days, and have used an EDS unit on every one of my 1,000+ sailplane flights over the last 18 years. Two years ago, I looked at my flight files and discovered that, out of 142 hours in the year (2015), I was above 10,000 (and therefore on O2) for 132 of them.

I am well aware of the headaches that can result from lack of oxygen. I started selling oxygen systems (Nelson) in 1992 and have been a dealer for Mountain High since around 1996.

The chemical odor and headache were anomalies only experienced on the last three flights. My cylinder had 1,800 psi and the EDS was set to D-10 as usual. If, after switching back to the original MH cannula, the experience repeats itself, I will send the unit back for a diagnostic check. According to MH, all units should go back to MH every few years for a checkup and refurbishment.

--
Dan, 5J