Old November 19th 18, 09:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default Recommended configuration: ADS-B receiver, iPad, software?

On Monday, November 19, 2018 at 12:45:40 PM UTC-8, RR wrote:
So here is a question (perhaps several). I have a lx-9000 and power flarm, and adsb out as well. With the flarm, I can see 1090es adsb targets. it is my understanding that I am blind to UAT targets. It looks like there was work being done to output Stratux in flarm format that would allow (with some kind of Mux) to add UAT to my LX-9000 display. Does anyone know if this is currently posable? It seems like it would be a nice addition...

You are blind to UAT direct, UAT via ADS-R and TIS-B (transponder only via SSR.. but you can get some warning of those targets via PCAS).

There have been multiple different people playing around with stuff, be careful what you are lookin at, why not provide a link to what you are asking about? e.g. folks outputting FLARM targets on Stratus via GDL90 protocol won't help you one bit getting to a display that needs FLARM serial data (and a FLARM serial mux won't help there).

Today if you want UAT In traffic get a Stratux or any similar dual-link ADS-B receiver and display that on a separate display, like an iPad/iPhone running Foreflight, or another GA oriented portable ADS-B traffic display system. You will also get the benefit of UAT based FIS-B weather and TFR data, if that's of interest to you. There is no way to display FIS-B data on any glider flight computer/traffic display.... for many pilots I suspect that's more compelling reason to get a separate system like Foreflight than the UAT traffic (well I'm being asked about that a little more than UAT traffic).

Future FLARM receivers like the PowerMouse should at least decode ADS-R and TIS-B data over 1090ES link layer and make that available on displays like your LX-9000.

"I have ADS-B Out" is not very helpful to state... remember "ADS-B" is a fluffy marketing term. Do you have 2020 Complaint/SIL=3 1090ES Out? TABS/SIL=1? Something you rolled yourself/SIL=0???