Old August 13th 04, 11:28 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Peter Kemp" wrote in message
On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 16:20:31 GMT, "Matt Wiser"
wrote:

"Keith Willshaw" wrote:

"frank may" wrote in message
.com...
I stumbled up on an A-26 site earlier & it
mentioned that 130 (I
think) A-26s had been ordered by the RAF but
were later diverted to
the Navy or something. Anyway, I was wondering
if anyone's ever seen a
paint scheme for the Invader B. Mk. 1. Sand
& spinach over sky, or
what? might look pretty cool.

According to Joe Baughers web site 2 were actually
delivered
to Boscombe Down for evaluation. The production
versions were intended for the MTO and were
to replace
the Bostons of No 88 Squadron RAF as well as
those of
342 Squadron of the Free French Air Force.

The paint scheme of those Bostons is probably
the
nearest approximation to that which would have
been applied to the Invaders.

Keith

So why didn't the RAF use the A-26?

Because we had the Mosquito? Admittedly a much lower load until the
later Marks, but probably more survivable and fewer crew required.

I honestly can't think of a direct equivalent to the Marauder in RAF
service in large numbers.

How about the Marauder ?

The RAF had 5 squadrons of em

The A-26 was of course the Invader and they were cancelled
in April 45 because the war was going to be over before they could
be delivered

The Wellington in the first couple oif years
I suppose, until it was withdrawn.

The Wellington was still in service in the 50's
with second line squadrons.

Keith