Old August 18th 04, 04:23 AM
JDupre5762

Default Amputee fighter aces.

OK I know a lot about Douglas Bader.

I want to know more about a Soviet pilot named Alexei Maraslev or some version
of that. Christophers old book Air Aces has a an intriguing story about this
Guards Regiment Major who was shot down and spent 19 days crawling through
woods on injured legs. Rescued he lost both logs below the knee but returned
to his unit. He is credited with between 11 and 19 German aircraft. Somewhere
I read about other Soviet amputee pilots as well but damned if I can find the
book now. Anyone got more information? Was Maraslev's story a figment of some
propogandist? Web searches turn up a lot about old Dougie.

John Dupre'