Old July 28th 19, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

Default More sad news

On Sunday, July 28, 2019 at 4:45:49 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Very sad indeed. Also sad are the ever present followup comments that are always made about how experienced and how safe so and so pilot was, how they were always the most concientious fliers etc. Bottom line is someone always screws the pooch. All it takes is a moments inattention and tragedy awaits.

This is troubling, towplane and glider collide, not good. I fly both ends of the rope, there is never a single second that I always know where the released glider is. This is a high wing towplane, makes for better visibility after release than the Pawnee that we use. Even on pattern tows I go like hell to make sure I beat the glider to base and land well ahead of the glider. A few seconds can make a lot of difference in separation.