Old August 4th 19, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

Default Discus CS wing water dump seats (seals)

On Saturday, August 3, 2019 at 1:42:01 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Monday, October 29, 2018 at 4:50:25 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Per Schempp-Hirth, I am the owner of a Discus CS with NON-Schempp-Hirth water dump seats on the wing dump valves. Per S-H, ALL S-H, including CS's, have aluminum discs for seats. My ship has what appears to be rubber or similar material for seats. Soon, they will be leaking and though I think I have figured out how to replace them, I am open to suggestions from anyone with first-hand knowledge of replacing non-aluminum seats. Big question for that person(s) is where do you get the part? And, what is the serial number of your ship?

Related question: if you own a Discus CS, would you please look at your seats (underside of each wing, near root) and, if you find that yours are NOT aluminum, let me know the serial number so that I can bring S-H that information.

Visible on my seat is a rubber seat in the center of which is a brass hex head with a female 6mm thread for the pull-down tool. Standard S-H is simply an aluminum disc with and 6 mm female thread.

I am listed on the SSA website and you are welcome to contact me directly there if you prefer.

Thanks for any help.

Dump Seal Solved!

Since S-H has been of no help at all, I have designed and can produce seals that are hard rubber, seal well with only a touch of wax, and can be replaced from the exterior and without cutting any holes in wings.

Also, this solution would work on virtually any S-H with aluminum dump seals still without cutting holes in wing to do so.

I am listed in the SSA member section if anyone has any interest in this solution.

How do we get in contact with you? all this thread shows is part of an email.

Richard